Sunday 12 June 2011

Finally a day of rest!

After a long week in clinic, we finally have a day off! I was getting pretty tired and was really looking forward to relaxing for the day. I slept in for three whole hours, waking up at eight as opposed to five, it was one of the best sleep-ins ever. When I finally got up, I looked out my window to see big, beautiful fluffy snowflakes falling down to cover the roof tops and add to the collection of snow that has still not melted. As the day warmed the snow turned into freezing rain, and then finally rain. The puddles have grown into small lakes!


I spent the majority of my morning reading a great book; The Little Princes. It's about an orphanage in Nepal and one mans vow to return all of the children home to their families, despite the danger of the civil war. I highly recommend it....Eventually one o'clock rolled around and I was eager to take a little walk to the Northern, which had just opened. I am getting really tired of eating the same gross food everyday; oats and a vegan shake for breakfast, Nile Spice soup, a LaraBar and applesauce for lunch; freeze dried dinners-that I can barely stand for supper; while dessert consists of some dried fruit and a few pieces of 70% chocolate. I have been living off of this menu for 11 days now, and still have 14 more to go. I was desperate to find something else to eat. So, off I trekked to the Northern in order to hunt something down. The following is a picture of my triumphant catch!


I spent $28.44. Here is a breakdown of the costs:
  • Small bag of carrots - $4.15 
  • Wheat Thins - $6.19
  • Tetley Green Tea - $4.49
  • 500g of Unsweetened Peanut Butter - $5.69
  • My best find of dark chocolate covered goji berries! - 200g - $7.29
I haven't had vegetables, besides the minuscule pieces in my dinner and soup, that don't really count, since I left. These are the best carrots IN THE WORLD! Of course I packed chocolate for my trip, but my supply has been dwindling quickly and I have been very concerned that I would not have enough to make it the rest of the trip. Finding dark chocolate covered gojis was an unexpected and incredibly delicious find.   


The Northern Store!

Yesterday I had the opportunity to buy some work from the local artists. They came to visit me at the clinic to show me what they had created.


 This wall hanging, by Helen Rose, is of an arctic char and seal. She came to see me earlier in the week, hoping to sell a very large wall hanging for $200. It was beautiful, but a bit out of my price range. I asked if she had anything smaller, so she made this one for me.


This is an ink drawing by Danny Aaluk. My photo really doesn't do it justice, there is so much detail in this drawing, it's beautiful. He stayed for a while to chat with me and tell me some great stories. He is working on a coloured drawing for me too. I am looking forward to seeing it tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment