Tuesday 21 June 2011

It's the summer solstice today, but I certainly can't tell the difference.

I am really enjoying my time here in Cambridge Bay. The people are friendly, the town is clean, and there are more places for me to go and explore. I unfortunately didn't end up going on a hike Sunday because I came down with a bad migraine. Poor me. I spent the day on the couch watching Top Gear, not a bad alternative, though, the show is hilarious. Terry and I will explore the land sometime this week when it is a bit warmer and less windy. The temperature is hovering over zero, but the wind blowing over the icy water makes it bitterly cold.

Monday was our first day in clinic. We are working out of a pretty large office building, so there are lots of people around to chat with when I have a second to myself. I mostly stay with Rosie, my interpreter though, I really like her. She is a sweet lady with three children and two grandchildren. She likes telling me where I can go around town and tries to make me feel at home, and I do feel happy here. It is not quite home, but it's a close second.

Office building we are working out of.
It is a less than 5 minute walk from the Green Row.
We got to leave early for lunch, so I decided to check out one of the stores Rosie was telling me about. I walked up the road to The Arctic Closet, a super tiny shop that sells souvenirs, soapstone carvings, seal skin mitts, and some other great things. I walked in to find a young girl working, she looked bored out of her mind! I found out that she is from Nova Scotia and came here with her mom who is teaching at the high school. I asked her if she liked living here, her reply was "I hate it!" (it's not for everyone!). I would feel the same way if I was a teenager living in such a remote village with nowhere to go and nothing fun to do. At least she gets to work in a cute store for the summer and meet a lot of new people visiting the community.

The Arctic Closet!
After my little shopping spree it was back to work. We had a full afternoon of patients to see and I was really busy. Between patients I was sterilizing instruments, when all of a sudden Rosie came running into my op yelling, "Rebecca! Rebecca! There is bannock! Come out here, we have to buy some bannock!". It took me a second to remember what bannock was and why there was so much excitement over it. I followed Rosie into the waiting room, coming closer and closer to the sweet smell of freshly baked bannock, a traditional native flat bread. It smelled so wonderful, I had to have some. There was a choice between plain and raisin, so I asked Rosie advise on what I should get. "Both!", she said. So, I bought plain and raisin, as did Rosie,and all of the other people in the waiting room with a dental appointment did the same. I picked up my loaves, which were still warm, and put them aside, disappointed that I was too busy to try some right away. Our day finally finished and I brought my still warm bannock home, it was a delicious doughnut-y treat after my always disappointing re-hydrated supper. I restrained myself from devouring the two loaves and froze the rest, hopefully it will survive the plane ride home so I can share some with my family.

View down the street.
Tonight I was visited by a local artist named Robert. This was the third time he came to visit me at my home selling soapstone carvings. He stopped by the first night I was here and politely asked me if I might be interested in buying some soapstone jewelry that he made. Of course I was! I am always interested in buying jewelry, especially if it is from a local artist. He had green and black necklace pendents, both beautiful, but I had to ask him to come back later so I could go to the bank. The second time he came back a bit to quickly and I hadn't had a chance to go to the RBC, but I finally had some money for him tonight. I bought the green pendant, an inukshuk, beautifully carved for only $20. I asked him if he had earnings to match, he said "no, but I will find more soapstone and can make you some before you leave."! YAY! 
Home Sweet Home

No comments:

Post a Comment