Sunday 19 June 2011

Saturday - Another Flight and Cambridge Bay

By 8:30 Saturday morning, I was packed up again and on board the shuttle going back to the airport. I have certainly had enough of flying this week and was looking forward to staying on the ground in Cambridge Bay for a solid week.

Cambridge Bay is slightly larger than the other communities, and I could tell as soon as we arrived at the airport. It was still one room, but a larger room, they even sold snacks and some souvenirs, there was also a small conveyor belt that our luggage came in on. The other airports were simply four walls with some chairs to sit in. We gathered our bags and found Dan driving up the road to bring us to our home for the next week, the Green Row Suites.
Drum dancer picture in my room
On our drive to the hotel I noticed that the community is much cleaner, there are bigger houses and more amenities. They have the local Co-op, the Northern, an arena, and even the Royal Bank. The other communities felt more like third world countries to me, with garbage everywhere, and houses that were falling apart or abandoned, but here it seems much different. ATV's are the vehicles of choice for the summer months, in Gjoa and Kug I would see whole families including babies crammed onto one ATV. I was shocked to see people drive by with helmets on here, actually taking safety into consideration.

My suite is gorgeous! I had no idea that I was going to have the luxury of staying in such a nice place. It is a two bedroom, with a kitchen, living room and eating area, I even have my own personal washer and dryer. I was told that I may have a roommate for two nights, but I don't care, this place is certainly big enough for two people.

I unpacked my things and made myself comfortable. It was then time for a little walk and some grocery shopping. I walked up to the Co-op to pick up a few things, my total bill was over $50.00. I bought two bottles of water, two cans of soup, and two tuna snacks (the small ones that come with crackers). That was it! $50.00!!! I am still in shock when I have to buy something at these prices...When I was in line at the cash, I was disappointed, but not surprised, to see families buying bags of candy, chips and little else for their weekly groceries. At the end of each of the two cash registers, there was a slushy machine. I thought to myself, "this is just great. Another contribution to the dental decay that everyone is suffering from". At the end of their purchases the entire family would each get a large slushy each. I will be adding this to my list of things I need to educate people on...


Living room/eating
Kitchen!


No comments:

Post a Comment