Monday 12 December 2011

A Beer Dance, Bazaar, Telethon and a Blonde Haired Alien

The weekend presented us with a couple of challenges. Friday night there was a beer dance, which meant that everyone was hungover or possibly still drunk by the time Saturday rolled around. We had a full day of patients booked from 9 to 6, the appointments had all been made the day before. Only one patient showed up! Talk about a long and frustrating day. I spent most of my time cleaning and organizing since the last dental team left a bit of a mess. By the afternoon you could find me relaxing in the dental chair reading some outdated magazines. There was also a bazaar Saturday afternoon that everyone was going to. All of the local artists stop by to see me, so I didn't bother going to check it out. There are some fantastic artists in Kugluktuk. I have been shown beautiful carvings, mittens and kamiks (boots made from caribou and seal skin that have incredible hand embroidery).

Image result for kamiks

Sunday we had booked from noon until 6, knowing that the radio telethon was being held the night before we didn't bother trying to book the morning. My clerk Helen showed up and informed me that there was also a funeral going on, the majority of the community usually attend. We had about 5 patients show up, which was fine for me. The darkness is starting to get to me and I am getting pretty tired up here. Don't underestimate how important the sun is!!

Now, the infamous blonde haired alien...Only one of these strange, pale creatures has been spotted in Kugluktuk, it wears a raspberry parka and seems to respond to the name Rebecca. Yes, I am the blonde haired alien! At least according to the young girls, I seem to be. I saw two girls that were around twelve years old on Friday who wanted to book appointments, they kept on starring at me and giggling. I asked them what was so funny but never got an answer, they just kept starring. The next day, they returned, this time with two more friends. Now I had four little girls who were giggling at me and unable to answer any questions. I told the sonographer, Denise, what had happened and that I had no idea what they were up to. She looked at me and told me that it is probably my blonde hair that they are getting a kick out of. Maybe before my next trip I will have to dye my hair brown...

No comments:

Post a Comment