Wednesday 7 December 2011

Weather Day AKA Snow Day Even For Adults

Last night I had a difficult time sleeping. All I could hear was howling winds making my apartment rattle and shake. I woke up this morning and finally looked out my window to not be able to see anything except blowing snow and darkness. I could barely see the house across the street. Now this is a blizzard!

This is my second weather day, the first was Monday afternoon, I was surprised that the town was shut down as it was just a minor snow storm. We kept the clinic open, but only had two patients show even though we had confirmed with everyone that we would be staying open during the storm.

I assumed that we would not bother going in this morning, but got a hold of Terry just to make sure. I assumed wrong, and was not terribly impressed that I had to go into the raging storm. I reluctantly gathered my scarf, mitts, ear pockets and boots, which, not very conveniently broke yesterday. I can no longer zip them up. I grabbed my raspberry parka and finished my ensemble with ski goggles. I hesitantly opened the door and got pushed back by some very strong winds and a face full of snow, thought to myself, this is crazy and walked out into the storm anyway.

Every step was a challenge in the strong wind gusts. I truly thought that I was going to be picked up and fly away with the blowing snow. Walking up my street I was sure that there was a stop sign at the intersection, but I could not see it. I continued walking until I finally saw the stop sign when it was a couple of metres ahead of me. There were no people, cars or ski-doos on the road, everyone else was smart enough to stay inside.  It was quite eerie walking in the seemingly abandoned town in a ridiculous storm with a night sky as the backdrop but I continued on to the clinic with the winds helping to push me along.

I finally made it to the clinic, tried to unlock and open the door, but was stopped by ice build up so I turned around and went back home. I called Terry with the bad news. He is worried about getting cabin fever and wants to re-evaluate the situation at noon. I can tell you right now there is no way I am stepping foot outside my door again today. I am going to stay in my pyjamas, read, write, watch some TV and try to enjoy my snow day.
 
View from my living room window.
It's not an unclear picture,
this is what it actually looks like outside.


Current WeatherWed. Dec 7, 2011, 7:00 MST Cambridge Bay

Details

A low pressure system moving east towards Northern Hudson Bay has created blizzard conditions for many sites in the Arctic. Strong winds gusting up to 90 km/h behind the low have developed blizzard conditions in Kugluktuk, Cambridge Bay, Gjoa Haven and Taloyoak. Kugluktuk is expected to improve this afternoon as winds decrease while the other communities will not improve until Thursday.

Blowing snow
-14
°C
Blowing snow







No comments:

Post a Comment